Tuesday, February 10, 2004

The worst part about not working (other than having no income and no benefits) is that I seem to be able to waste an inordinate amount of time. In all honesty, I accomplish more in my free time when I'm working 8+ hours a day than I do when I'm not working at all. For one, I sleep a lot less when I'm working, and I somehow manage to feel more awake on less sleep. And I just do things much more efficiently. For some reason when you know you potentially have all day or all week to finish a project, it takes forever to do it. When I'm working long hours I set aside certain parcels of my free time to clean, cook, pay bills, etc. And I get it done in that time. Amazing.

Part of the problem now is that I'm reading way too much. When I first moved in to this apartment I was watching a lot of TV, but the TV basically bores me. And when I'm "watching" TV I'm usually doing two or three other things at the same time. Reading never bores me, and I'm not very good at putting down a book before I'm finished. (Thus why I finish most books in less than a day.) But I can't accomplish anything else (besides eating) while I'm reading, so I'm not getting much done.

I'm also finding myself being far more productive in the evening than I am during the day, which I don't really understand at all. And it can be a problem, because while the internet and email work pretty much the same regardless of time of day, it's difficult to make phone calls after hours. So, I need to make a schedule and stick to it. And I need to do it soon. I should really be spending at least 8 hours a day job searching, and I don't think I'm really doing that right now.

I'll get to that as soon as I finish this chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment