Monday, February 23, 2004

Sometimes anticipation is half the fun. I've been putting off getting a new laptop for a LONG time now. My battery was dead; the computer crashed every two seconds and wouldn't connect to the printer; the CD burner was finnicky, the AC adaptor kept coming loose.... etc. But, of course, I have no income, so I hadn't even researched what I wanted. I wasn't in computer-buying mode.

Until today. I was really motivated to do some hard-core job searching today. I think my laptop was scared to do so much work because it started to smoke. In retrospect, I had been smelling burnt plastic for a while without realizing what it was. Humph. Anyway, computer is pretty much shot. I'm going to take it to a shop to try to recover some of my files, but it's not worth fixing a 4-year-old computer that was only designed to last about a year.

So on my way home from my interview today I stopped at Best Buy and bought anew computer. Just like that. I knew what I wanted (basically the least amount of features I could find, which isn't so easy to come across these days), and it wasn't difficult to figure out what computer was right for me. I got a good no-interest-for-24-months deal. I love that they will extend great credit to someone with no job who hasn't even lived in the same place for a whole month.

In any case, I'm not excited about having a new computer; I'm just annoyed that I have to reprogram my bookmarks and find people's email addresses again. I think it would have been more fun if I had gotten to research and order instead of buying on the spot. Alas. I'm sure I will become enamored with the new machine soon enough, and in any case I needed to have email immediately, so it wasn't really an option.

So, if you're reading this, send me an email with your email, address, phone number, etc, just in case I can't ever get on to my old laptop where all that info is. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment