Friday, February 13, 2004

I really hate Valentine's Day. I'd actually like to say it's because I'm single and bitter, but it's difficult to be bitter when you prefer being single, and I hated Valentine's Day when I was in relationships, too.

So what's wrong with this holiday? Well, to start it's yet another example of Christianity co-opting a pagan holiday (and it's an oh-so Christian holiday at the moment). The pagan holiday was actually pretty cool-- it involved running around naked in the hills in a fertility rite. Not that I want to be particularly fertile right now, but the running sounds like fun :)

In its current incarnation, Valentine's Day is impossible to ignore. Not everything is lovey-dovey, and in fact I think there might actually be more tv shows, etc aimed at the bitter single crowd. But everyone talks about V Day. On Good Day Live today (yes, I know that watching that insipid show is my first problem), the commentators were discussing how sad this time of year is for those women who have no one. Apparently it's not sad for guys, presumably because single guys save money at V Day.

Which brings me to my next point... I HATE the materialism of holidays like this. Let's forget for a moment that they were basically created by Hallmark (anyone who's celebrated "Sweetheart's Day" knows what I'm talking about). Many of you know my feelings about engagement rings. (If you don't, I'm personally VERY opposed to them and would automatically reject any proposal that included a ring.) Every news program I've seen in the past few days has included a section on how to shop for the perfect engagement ring (including looking at the report from the international geologic society or something like that!) Any such program always has a segment where they ask for women's reactions-- is the ring big enough, shiny enough, the right style, etc. Are there really women who think their fiance doesn't love them enough because the ring is too small???

There's a commercial on TV right now that pisses me off every time I see it. A couple is in a plaza in Europe somewhere and the guy shouts out "I love this woman." The woman gets all embarrassed and makes him stop shouting. Then he gives her jewelry (I don't remember what-- ring, earring, necklace??) and she starts to glow. Then she whispers "I love this man." So what's the deal? She doesn't love him until he spends money on her? She'd rather get jewelry than his love? I realize the jewelry is supposed to be symbolic or something, but really, the values in this commercial are just messed up!

Ok, enough ranting for one blog. I'm going to stay holed up in my apartment with the TV off until this horrible holiday is long gone so I don't get in any fights :) Oh, and I hope all my married and dating friends have fun and don't get into fights over inadequate gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment