Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Ok, I should just admit it. I'm addicted to the personals on Craigslist. Yes, I generally start out with the men seeking women, but it rarely stops there. I suppose I can justify women seeking men as scoping out the competition and women seeking women as exploring my options. I check out the missed connections, strictly platonic, casual encounters, and misc romance because you never know what might seem interesting. Why do I read the men seeking men section? No clue, but it feels exciting because you have acknowledge that you know there will be explicitly sexual content just to be allowed access. On occasion I do respond (but only to the men seeking women, at least so far). I respond with an email address I have solely for that purpose that does not reveal any personal information about me. I respond not because I am hoping to find a date or a boyfriend (or a husband as most of the women seeking men seem to want), but because the ads amuse me or intrigue me, and I want to continue the conversation. After my last disastrous attempt at finding a date through an internet personal ad, I can't imagine I would want to actually meet any of these people! Mainly I just read the ads to be entertained. I love observing the differences between the male and female approach to this service, and I truly enjoy the utter desperation apparent in some ads. But mostly I like the creative ones, the ones that jump out, maybe because they're really describing me, maybe because they're so brutally honest, maybe because they're excellently written. In any case, Craigslist always manages to brighten my day.

Favorite ad title today: "love me or the terrorists win"

No comments:

Post a Comment