Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Ok, so I'll skip a long recap of my weekend since most of the people who read this were there for most of it. Suffice it to say I had a blast. Of course, I'm fairly certain that I have a completely warped view of Chicago since every time I'm there it's for some fun event any nobody has to work and everyone gets together. But even when I remember that it's not always like that I still want to be there!

Anyway, no recap, but Saturday deserves a bit of explanation. After going out to lunch with Kim I decided that I wanted to spend the day downtown. I got into my car and soon found it heading north. Apparently, my car (which is really my mother's car) wanted to visit Evanston (it had never been there). I hadn't been to Evanston in a few years, so I went along. Felt a little nostalgic, but it was nice to be back there. Sat down in Barnes and Noble to puruse the Reader for apartments and quickly realized how tired I was from out incredibly late Friday night. So I decided to park the car on some side street and sleep for a little while before I left. Not sure why I didn't think of calling one of my friends and asking to nap at their places, but at the time sleeping in the car seemed like a good plan. In any case, it's a moot point because when I got outside it was snowing, so I decided to head directly to Indianapolis. MISERABLE drive. I was tired; it was starting to get dark; and it rained the whole way. What should have been a 3-hour or so drive took much longer because I kept stopping to eat or sleep or just because I didn't feel safe on the road. Around 9:30pm I made it to Indy. John's flight was supposed to get in around 11, and he thought he'd be home by midnight at the latest, so I had some time to kill. I saw a coffee shop near John's apartment building and started to walk there. And then my phone rang. Somehow I knew it was bad. Sure enough, it was John telling me that they had oversold his flight and he wasn't sure he had a seat. And then the coffee shop was closed. So I got back in the car and drove around downtown Indy. I eventually found a Starbucks (boo) that was open till midnight, so I decided to sit there until I heard back from John. Around 10:45 he finally called and said he wasn't coming in that night and might not make it to Indy until Monday. I walked out of Starbucks and was ready to burst into tears. Here I was, dead-tired, had driven WAY out of my way (actually, not that far, but it felt that way at the time), and now I would have to pay for a hotel in Indy. And I wasn't even sure if I'd get to see John at all unless he was lucky enough to get on a flight the next morning. As I was about to hey in my car to consult my AAA book for a hotel the phone rang again. It was John saying he was getting on a plane right then and had to turn off his phone. I said I'd hang out in Indy till he got it. Not so much a case of me being patient as me being cheap and not wanting to pay for a hotel! So now it's almost 11pm, and I have no idea what flight (or even airline) he's on or when he might land. I went back to Starbucks till midnight when they closed. Then I drove around Indy for a while. Seemed like an okay, if small, city. I thought about going to a bar, but that seemed odd by myself, in a city I don't know. So I sat in my car and read for a long time, tried to sleep (to no avail), played some blackjack on my phone. Around 2am John's flight finally landed and he made it to his apartment a little before 3. I was ready to collapse at that point, but somehow managed to stay up until around 6. Anyway, after all of that Sunday was an entirely lost cause. We didn't leave his apartment all day, just watched football and a movie and ordered in pizza. It never snowed while I was there (good thing I left Chicago!) but the rain was nasty and football traffic would have been horrible. So, it ended up being a nice little side trip, despite the HORRIBLE beginning. I guess Indiana is no longer my least favorite state (what with the good food and gambling and all!) but it has yet to completely redeem itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment