Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I have made another foray into the world of Craigslist. This time, instead of saying what I'm looking for, I just listed things about myself (books I've read, etc). Thus far, this has been an astounding success. I have yet to get any of those cut-and-paste, respond-to-everyone emails and have instead attracted seemingly intelligent thoughtful guys who actually engaged with the material I gave them. Fabulous!!

Seriously, though, in approximately one hour I've received THIRTEEN legitimate (or at least personal) responses. I give you one quote from each:
1. "Yet, I am not exclusively brawny. I read classical
literature, serious fiction; enjoy coffee and teas,
cooking a lot."
2. "Why am I who you should be looking for? Hmmm...a tough question to answer without sounding pretentious. How about because - I have two tickets for the Ani Difranco show in February and need someone to fill that second ticket - I love to run, but you could probably kick my butt if you've done a marathon - I only go between 4-7 miles on my daily runs.
3. "I go to London about once every 2 months for the weekend and just indulge in culture. I'm middle of the road politically, I volunteer at one of the city's cultural institutions and literally can go from drinking beer (good beer, mind you) to black-tie events with zero problems."
4. "I am not a huge reader,
but I love to give books as gifts and I think learning is always
important."
5. "I'd say I'm a sincere, kind, honest, loyal, and cool person. I like animals a lot, and nature. I'm fond of thai food...basil fried rice is good or pad thai. I'm a cubs fan. I havent' been to london but would really enjoy to visit there."
6. "God, you sound amazing. I wish you nothing but the
best of luck in your search....I only wish for the
best for my fellow vegetarians....."
7. "(Funny story that just crossed my mind. A few years ago I met this
really attractive woman and I mentioned Plato and made a reference to him. She
honestly thought I was talking about the clay we use to play with as kids.
What floored me was that she has NO idea who Plato the philosopher was....
Moral of the story is I don’t care how attractive you are, please be intelligent....)"
8. "i work at chicago public radio and tutor/teach hebrew and judaica, am applying for a masters of theological studies program, like to read and listen to music"
9. "former Foucaultian now a Churchillian"
10. "You come across as warm, intelligent and nice...so I'm writing back to you in your own format which I hope you will take as a compliment rather than just
imitation...."
11. "Sweetie, and you have a hard time finding good guys why?
You would be such a catch."
12. "Job - Attorney, work for the govt. but not the man
Salary - not as high as if I sold out, but enough to keep me from
selling out."
13. "Way I like my beer and coffee: beer is all good and i like my coffee
like i like my women, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the side of a
donkey"

God, I love Craigslist :)

EDIT: I have more to share. Unfortunately, the guys who don't read before replying have begun to find me. And the guys who don't quite *get* me. But it's not all bad:
14. "You sound a little bit, well, determined. I'm not sure you "should" be looking for anyone. I think it happens in God's time, not ours and happens when you least expect it, so stop the search, it's a lot less stressful that way. But if you want to see if we might be compatible or at least able to be friends, then let's grab a cup of that dark coffee and find out."
15. "Umberto Eco is one of my most favorite writers - and to see someone else who has actually (re)read two! of his books is amazing. "
16. "Cool ad. My, we are into Umberto Eco. I'm with you on the beer."
17. "Well I am six foot five inches tall, blonde hair, blue eyes....weigh about 240. I live in the burbs but drive so do not worry aboyt that. You should be looking for a guy like me because I enjoy a woman who enjoys and demands to be pampered. This includes paying for her manicures, cleaning her house, washing her dishes, and doing her laundry."
18. "Sweet God you've done a lot in your 26 years!!!! congrats!!! Well, to be honest, I am looking for that girl I get along with 95% of the time. No relationships are without conflict, I think 95% is an attainable goal. I want someone I can converse with first, be on the same level with, and basically someone to miss when she leaves!! I am not materialistic, nor do I wish to "own the world". I am happy doing what I do and taking time to help others who may need my help.
I would bet that I am not as smart as you are, but I am educated. I may not be able to speak modern Hebrew with you but if you are willing to talk in English I would bet we could have a good time ; )"
19. "So u really speak how many languages?"
20. "You didn't lick your fingers to turn the pages of "Name Of The Rose", did you?" [Editor's note: If you haven't read Name of the Rose, I'm not explaining this to you. Read the book- it's one of my all-time favorites]

No comments:

Post a Comment