Friday, July 09, 2004

What a shitty way to start a day.... As soon as my door clicked shut this morning I realized that my keys were on the other side. I guess there are some advantages to living in a big apartment building. I called the management company and got a message telling me to press 2 if this was an emergency. Once I pressed 2 I heard a list of emergency situations--including fire, flood, burst pipes, and lock out. Perhaps I'm odd, but if there were a fire, I think I would call 911 first, not my management company. Eventually, a maintenance man came and let me into my apartment. I knew I had to pay the $25 fee upfront. I didn't realize it had to be cash. Apparently it's in the lease, but I don't carry around copies of my lease and no one at the management company mentioned this before sending the maintenance man. I finally convinced him that a check written to him should be fine. He claimed in the past those kind of checks often bounced. WTF? He knows where I live! Anyway, it ended ok. I got to work on time; I now have my keys. I still don't know anyone in my building, so this won't cause me to leave a key with a neighbor or anything. I just won't ever set down my keys again! I would've gone to work and dealt with the key thing in the evening, except that my work keys-- office, desk, etc, were also on the keyring, and it would've been a hassle to be without them.

While I'm complaining, I saw a commercial for low-carb dogfood last night. Yes, dogs probably need more protein than carbs. Yes, there are overweight dogs in the world. But this whole low carb things has just gone too far. Cutting out carbs should not replace actually thinking about nutrition. Am I the only one in the world who remembers that a GRAM (not ounce, thanks Pete!) of protein and a gram of carbohydrate (simple OR complex) have exactly the same number of calories--4. Am I the only one who remembers that a gram of fat is what will hurt you-- 9 calories. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Not by cutting out vegetables and bread. Ok, done ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment