Saturday, January 30, 2010

Plot exercise, attempt one

Betsy and Tim looked at Michael and me and raised their glasses. Tim exclaimed, "To another great vacation."
"The cruise was a great idea, Betsy!" Michael said. Betsy smiled as she clinked his raised glass.
"Can you believe this is our tenth trip together?" I asked.
Just then, a portly man in a white linen suit walked over. "Hello folks, I hope you're having a good time."
"Yes," Betsy gushed, "this ship is amazing."
"Thank you," the man responded. "I'm Ross, the program director. May I join you?" When we nodded reluctantly, he pulled over a chair and stuck it on the corner between Michael and me. It seemed an oddly casual move in such an elegant dining room. I glanced at Tim who raised his eyebrows.
Ross turned to Tim and me. "How long have you two been married?"
I giggled. "No, I'm married to Michael, and Tim is married to Betsy," I said, gesturing.
"Really?" Ross asked, "I saw you from across the room, and..." he trailed off.
Betsy shot a panicked look at Michael and back at Ross, stuttering, "you didn't think that we..."
"Yes," Ross nodded.
"No," Betsy said, in shock.
"Well, Betsy, we are friends," Michael mumbled.
"Janie and I are too," Tim defended. "But we're not... I mean, I like her."
"Well, I like Michael," yelped Betsy, knocking over her wine glass. Michael leaped to help her mop the wine.
Without thinking, I shouted, "I love Tim!" and then looked over at Michael with horror. To my surprise he seemed almost relieved as he put his arm around Betsy.
Tim rose out of his chair and leaned down to whisper in my ear, "I love you, too, Janie."
Just before turning to kiss him, I saw Betsy and Michael kissing and a smirking Ross walking away.

No comments:

Post a Comment