Wednesday, July 06, 2005

This year's Tour de France has me a little perplexed. I fully expected Lance to win the Stage One time trial, and when he passed Ullrich on the course, I figured he had it all wrapped up. Losing by two seconds is not like Lance. But I also expected that after the first day he would ease up and let others win through at least the first week and a half. Again, I was wrong. Granted, Lance didn't mean to win yesterday in the Team Time Trial. No one expected Zabriskie to crash, and I think Lance was probably viewing Zabriskie as this year's Voeckler, at least for a little while. Still, it's been odd, and I'm wondering if Lance expects to keep the yellow jersey from here on out, a definite challenge. If I were Lance I'd give it up until the mountains, where he is clearly dominant. Then again, if the peloton keeps chasing down the attackers like they did today, there might not be much position shuffling going on. The only thing that's for sure is that Hincapie is being groomed as Lance's replacement on the Discovery Channel Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment