Thursday, October 21, 2004

I just heard three men speaking HEBREW on the train! It was so unexpected (I have never once randomly encountered spoken Hebrew) that I didn't even recognize it at first. Which is especially funny because I could pick up a word here or there. But I've studied--and been exposed to--so many languages that comprehension does not necessarily identify the language. In any case, I couldn't tell you what they were saying, but I did understand little things, like when one of the guys started counting. I sat next to them for half an hour, and I really tried to not be too obvious in my attempts to listen in. I think I may have been successful because I'm sure they didn't expect for me to understand them. After all, no one knows Hebrew, and I'm blond, and I was sitting there studying Russian :)

And I may be just a tad tired from my night out with Jacki and her co-workers and free beer. Proof that I'm tired: I just tried to make coffee without putting water in the coffee pot. It didn't work.

I have stuff to say about the Yankees-Red Sox. Maybe later. When I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment