Sunday, March 07, 2010

Fun with Poetry, Part Four

Free verse. Not my favorite poetry form. I didn't take it very seriously...

Coffee,
    Oh coffee,
Lifeblood in my veins.

Pavlovian, I salivate when I hear the
    Drip
    Drip
    Drip.

The scent of brewing coffee
    Like an alarm clock to my nostrils
    Awakens my soul.
The bitterness on my tongue delightful,
And the heat as it rolls down my throat fills me up.

I ritually, lovingly, grind my beans on weekday nights;
I set the timer;
And in the morning, like magic, the coffee appears.

But on weekends,
    I lie in bed;
Imagining, anticipating
    The first sip,
    Until I can't wait another second,
    And I run to the kitchen to start the brew.
Waiting those sixty second until I can pour a mug,
    Like an eternity.
And when I finally sit on the couch with my steaming hot joe,
    Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment