Sunday, February 07, 2010

Go Colts

GO COLTS!!

Okay, I know Indy won the Super Bowl recently and New Orleans hasn't. I know the Saints were important in the emotional recovery of New Orleans. If these were two teams I didn't care about, I'd probably root for the Saints.

But when one of these teams is the Colts, that all goes out the window. I don't have a very good explanation for it. I'm not from Indiana, and Indy has never been the closest NFL team to anywhere I've lived. I just love watching Peyton Manning play, even if he is OCD. I guess when you grow up in northeastern Ohio, you either become a defeatist like my grandmother or you find a new team. (There are no hopeless optimists in Cleveland, at least not when it comes to the Browns. "Maybe next year" is only ever said sarcastically.)

I chose the find-a-new-team approach, at least in football and baseball. Since doing so, I have actually gotten to experience teams I care about winning. I would be thrilled to see the Browns wins a Super Bowl and the Indians win a World Series, but that doesn't seem very likely. I know Laz thinks I'm a complete traitor, but I find it very difficult to care about losing teams when I don't even live there anymore. Heck, I found it fairly difficult to care about them when I did live there.

So, I will root for my adopted team today. I love the Colts for one simple reason: they are fun to watch. I've watched enough bad football in my day to truly appreciate a team that is so talented, that can actually make difficult plays, that doesn't give up if they're losing with five minutes left. And watching Peyton is like watching a master class in how to be a quarterback. I can't help but enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment