Thursday, October 06, 2005

Given how everyone (including me) complains about their jobs, I never expected to be in this kind of position. I applied for a job in another department. I did not actually want a different job. I love what I do most of the time, and I really love the people I work with. But when a job like this one opens up, you have to jump at it. I didn't jump without the pushing of my dad, Matthew, and a senior-level administrator here.

I didn't tell my boss because it's been a stressful couple of weeks here, and I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news if nothing was going to come of it. But now I have an interview. I really have no idea what my chances are of getting this job, but I wanted to tell my boss at this point so he wouldn't be caught unaware. This place is small enough that word can travel quickly. He looked like he might cry when I gave him the news.

So now I want to be excited that I'm being interviewed for this really tremendous opportunity for me, but I also feel guilty for leaving. Am I crazy for feeling that way? With a few minor exceptions, the people who would be most affected by my leaving have treated me tremendously well.

It's certainly nice to know that I'm appreciated and well-liked, but it doesn't make this kind of thing any easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment